Issue Number: COVID Tax Tip 2022-32
Here’s why IRS Free File is a great value for families
Families are often looking for ways to save money. One way they can do this is by using IRS Free File to prepare their taxes. IRS Free File offers online tax preparation software, electronic filing and direct deposit of refunds at no cost.
The software can help eligible families find tax benefits that can reduce the amount of tax they owe or increase the amount of their refund.
Here are some things for taxpayers to know about IRS Free File and the tax benefits that can put money in their pockets:
- IRS Free File tax preparation software is available to taxpayers and families whose 2021 total adjusted gross income was $73,000 or less. This year, there are eight products in English and two in Spanish.
- Using IRS Free File software can help taxpayers find and figure valuable tax credits like their earned income tax credit, child and dependent care credit, and recovery rebate credit. This year, taxpayers will need the total amount of their advance payments to claim their full child tax credit. They will also need the total amount of the third Economic Impact Payment they received to claim a recovery rebate credit. To find these amounts, people can check their IRS Online Account
- If a taxpayer’s income was greater than $73,000, they can use IRS Free File Fillable Forms.
- IRS Free File is only available on IRS.gov. Taxpayers can browse both options or use the look up tool to help find the product that best meets their needs.
- Each IRS Free File partner sets its own eligibility standards generally based on income, age, and state residency. All taxpayers who meet the $73,000 income limit will find at least one free product to use.
- Taxpayers can use IRS Free File to file their taxes on any personal computer, tablet, or smart phone.
- MilTax online software is also available for the members of military and certain veterans, regardless of income, and is offered through the Department of Defense. Eligible taxpayers can use MilTax to prepare and electronically file their federal tax returns and up to three state returns, for free.
- Taxpayers don’t have to be eligible for EITC to qualify for IRS Free File. Any individual or married couple that meets the income limitation is potentially eligible.
Share this tip on social media — #IRSTaxTip: Here’s why IRS Free File is a great value for families. https://go.usa.gov/xzcR6
Thank you for subscribing to IRS Tax Tips, an IRS e-mail service. For more information on federal taxes please visit IRS.gov.
This message was distributed automatically from the IRS Tax Tips mailing list. Please Do Not Reply To This Message